Friday, September 13, 2013

D is for Dog

This week Josiah learned about the letters 'B' and 'N' as well as how to write them. We worked a lot with the blends this week as well.

Something exciting happened on Tuesday! He read his first word! It was amazing how it happened. I had the blend 'BA' laid out in front of him and then the letter 't'. I told him we were going to learn to read our first word together and started to explain that we sound out the blend first. 

Well, Joanna decided that she was not happy about something and started crying. I had to stop explaining to go pick her up and was trying to calm her down when I hear Josiah sound out the blend and then say the blend and then add the 't' to the end. I looked at him with my jaw dropped as he yells out with a huge smile "BAT! Mom! It's the word BAT!!!!" 

(Reciting "Left Rabbit, Right Rabbit' poem. Joanna had to hold up her bunny ears too!)
 
Josiah has been asking to learn about butterfly's recently so when we were at the library this week I picked a few books out. I read one of them to him yesterday and he was glued to the pages! I would read a page and then ask him a question and he was able to spout off the answer right away. Daddy was even impressed that he could still remember everything last night before bed. 

Next week we will learn about dragonflies (another Josiah request). He wants to know how they defend themselves. Hopefully the books I grabbed will give us the answer! 

(Playing a learning game with "Henrietta". Why did I tell J that hens name? Then he had to name each chick before he put it on the nest.)

Josiah said his favorite thing about school this week was saying "The Pledge of America". Joanna even stopped and tried to hold her hand on her heart. My favorite was him reading his first word!

Week 5: Complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment