Friday, January 27, 2012

The Color That Made Me Cry - A Home 'Improvement' Post

 Monday and Tuesday were set aside for getting some painting done in some of the rooms. Josiah was excited about his room getting 'colored' even if it was blue and not green as he originally wanted.
 Can you see Josiah sticking his tongue out? He gets this from my mom. Whenever he is trying to concentrate really hard he sticks his tongue out. It totally cracks me up.
 Here is Josiah's room completely finished. I think it turned out really well.
 We used Josiah's birthday money to go buy the little toy storage bin in the picture below. We love it!!!!
Here is Tadpole's room. Its pink... very, very pink. I am crossing my fingers hoping that once we get curtains, pictures and possibly some border up that it will tone it down a little bit. The camera is being nice because it is much brighter in person.
 Michael gave our bathroom a coat of paint. It still needs another coat and the trim needs to be painted but it is already an improvement.




Keeping it real... the house was a disaster those two days.
 My dearest was getting things ready to paint the kitchen what I thought was going to be a beautiful pale 'earthy tone' yellow. I envisioned a lovely and relaxing color. What I got was something completely opposite.
 Disaster number one is while Michael was trying to move our frig out from its extremely tight fitting place the handle broke off. Michael rigged it to work for a couple days until our new handle (which arrived today) could be installed.
Okay, so back to the color that made me cry...

Michael says to me "This color looks exactly the same shade as what was once the color of the kitchen." He takes me to this spot on the wall where he removed some hardware and there was this hideously bright yellow color. He holds the paint color card up and I gagged. He opens the paint can and I just stare at a very hideously bright yellow.

Michael paints a two foot section and I start crying. (Okay, okay- I was blubbering like a little baby. In my defense it was almost 9pm, I was exhausted, and my frig was missing a handle.) It was horrible! I can only describe the color as a Canary-Pop-Your-Eyes-Out-Yellow. I knew you would all want to see a picture of it so I took one but once again the camera was being EXTREMELY nice and you can't tell JUST HOW YELLOW that paint is. I think its because the color is so glaringly bright it hurts the camera too much to get a true picture. 
So anyway, there is still a two foot section of Wear-a-pair-of-sunglasses-and-bang-your-head-against-the-wall-yellow in my kitchen. Michael so sweetly decided not to paint anymore and I adore him for it! He was great about the whole thing suggesting that maybe we could use the paint for his man cave or my favorite suggestion- sell it really cheap in our yard sale next weekend. I never want to see this color again. I don't think Michael does either, he actually said he didn't like it either and for someone who could really care less about stuff like this that is saying a lot!

So next week it will be back to Lowe's to find something that won't give us a headache when we walk in the room and see it. I hate that we wasted money on that paint but y'all I have limits and that Glow-in-the-dark-its-so-bright-yellow totally exceeded my limits.

So there was some home improvement done this past week but as far as the kitchen goes, well, its still a work in progress.

~Joy

3 comments:

  1. I love it!!!!!!!! :)

    (and for the record, I am pretty sure my mom painted our kitchen that exact same color when I was a kid! LOL! And she said to tell you that "It will fade!!!" I told her I didn't think you could wait that long!)

    Alesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joy, won't they adjust the color for u if u take it back rather than losing out on a whole can of paint. If its not what u want, they may have a satisfaction guartentee. Sorry it made u cry. I've had days like that. -Betsy O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm that would b guarantee. Sorry. : )-Betsy O.

    ReplyDelete