Saturday, August 11, 2012

Our Grand Adventure!

 Last Friday, the last day we spent in Alaska, we went on an adventure! Ok, so the two hour bus ride wasn't really adventurous but everything else was fun!

Here are the only two scenic pictures I took this year... from inside the moving bus no less. We were in the city the whole two weeks so I didn't have a whole lot of opportunity to take "pretty" pictures.
 Anyway... Adventure!

So there is this bridge that is right before you get to Denali. Under said bridge is a cat walk-type bridge. These people think its fun to walk across that two foot wide plank with only a hand rail on one side. NOT THIS CHICK! I stayed firmly planted on the solid rock, my friends.
 These are the *crazies* making their way to the catwalk.
 This is the view *DOWN*! Umm.... No Thank You!
 My Nut of a Husband.... ("Dear Lord, PLEASE let our children have my common sense!")
 Again. These people are NUTS!
Do you see those specks on the other side? Whew, everyone made it. Talk about extreme youth activity.

After we left the bridge we went on in to the city of Denali, we ate lunch and then went and got suited up for our white water rafting trip!!!!

We had to wear this incredibly flattering 'dry suit'. (Could you feel my sarcasm?) Although I felt really awkward in that thing I was so thankful for it! It kept me moderately warm and best of all... DRY! That was really important considering the temperature was in the 60's and the water was in the 30's!

The raft Michael and I were in contained 10 people including our guide whose name was Fragle. I have no earthly idea if I spelled his name correctly. :) He was a great guide, even though he kept using his ores to splash us with water.

We rafted down the Nenana River for about 2 hours! I LOVED every single minute! Alright, I didn't love the exact moment when the dude behind me grabbed me to keep himself from falling overboard. He almost put me in but other than that I LOVED it! The scenery was BEA-U-TI-FUL!

The rapids were class three and four. Our guide was awesome at maneuvering the boat so everyone ended up being beaten up and drowned splashed by the rapids. They had names like The Hammer, The Knife, and The Coffee Grinder.

I think what made it even more fun was that everyone in the boat knew each other. We laughed at each other and made fun of each other the whole time.

Everyone was worn out on the bus ride back to Fairbanks. Michael and I had just a couple hours to shower and finish packing before catching our plane ride home. Totally worth the long day.

I hope we get to raft again someday. :)

1 comment:

  1. Haha, this post made me laugh! Yes, what a grand time we had that day! Especially going across 'the bridge' :). And the rafting was amazing...even if I was the only girl to jump out :P. Had a wonderful time with y'all! Can't wait to do it again!! ~Tanna

    ReplyDelete